Saturday, May 17, 2008

Beginning the Conversations

I have always wanted to gain a true understanding of the ancient Asian masters. But, like all lazy Westerners, I tried to find books that would teach me instead of allowing the learning to come from within. I eventually realized my folly and set out to find the text of the Tao Te Ching so that I could meditate on each section to learn its secrets.

Since I do not read Chinese I had to find the English translation to work with. As I began my search I discovered that there are several English translations of the Tao Te Ching and there are even more people that have paraphrased the chapters. Again, my lazy Western ways saw a short cut. It would be a lot easier to learn through reading a paraphrased translation that it would a straight translation. But the more I read the paraphrased texts the more I realized that I really did not agree with most of them.

After countless hours of research I found an English translation that I liked and and began my meditations. As I studied each chapter I began to come to an understanding of what that chapter was teaching me. The next challenge was presenting what I was learning in a way that others could understand. I tried simply explaining my understandings, but realized that I was doing the same thing that everyone else had done. I was teaching meanings for each chapter as apposed to leading the reader to discover their own conclusions.

I grew up going to Sunday School every week. In the Bible, Jesus Christ used parables to teach universal truths to his disciples. I always enjoyed those parables. They allowed me to see examples of his teachings instead of having to just memorize what he said.

So I decided to present what I had learned in the form of parables. This blog is written from the viewpoint of a sage that never lived and the stories he tells never happened in a land that never existed. But what is important are not the stories themselves, but the messages that lie beneath them.

As you read this Blog remember that this is my interpretation. You do not have to agree with anything that I have said in these pages. If that is the case, I hope that you will seek out the text of the Tao Te Ching and study it for yourself. It is truly the best way to understand.

0 comments:

Template by - Michael Brinkley